EA prepares to say goodbye to some older releases.
Electronic Arts announced yesterday that its shutting down the online servers for more than 10 of its games across the PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii and PC. The servers will be removed Aug. 11 and Oct. 1. Some of the games going offline include Skate, Army of Two, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat and several sports games.
Players will no longer be able to access and use these games’ various online features like multiplayer and co-op modes. They also won’t be able to earn any Trophies or Achievements that require playing an online mode.
EA claimed that less than 1% of people across all of its games play these older releases online during peak hours. EA is closing the servers to save costs and focus efforts on newer and more popular titles. All of the listed games have one or more sequels.
In a statement, EA said, “The development teams and operational staff pour their hearts into these games almost as much as the customers playing them and it is hard to see one retired.”
Some game demos are also being removed. While EA lists Medal of Honor: Airborne for PSP as a game losing online support, that version of the game doesn’t even exist. Airborne only released for the PS3 on Nov. 19, 2007 and for Xbox 360 and PC Sept. 4, 2007.
Here’s the full list of removed servers and online content:
- Army of Two; PS3, Xbox 360. Release date: March 4, 2008
- Battlefield 2: Modern Combat; Xbox 360. Release date: April 11, 2006
- Medal of Honor:Heroes 2; PSP, Wii. Release date: Nov. 13, 2007
- NASCAR 09; PS3, Xbox 360 (ONLY in North America). Release date: June 10, 2009
- NCAA Basketball 10; PS3, Xbox 360. Release date: Nov. 17, 2009
- NCAA Football 10; PS3, Xbox 360. Release date: July 14, 2009
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted; Xbox 360, PC. Release dates: Nov. 15, 2005, Nov. 22, 2005
- Need for Speed: Undercover; PSP. Release date: Nov. 18, 2008
- Skate; PS3, Xbox 360. Release dates: Sept. 24, 2007, Sept. 13, 2007.
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10; PS3, Xbox 360. Release date: June 8, 2009
- Army of Two; Xbox 360
- Battlefield 2142; PC
- Battlefield 2: Modern Combat; Xbox 360
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11; PS3, Xbox 360
Oct. 1 closings:
- Madden NFL 2010; PS3, Xbox 360. Release date: Aug. 14, 2009
- NHL 10; PS3, Xbox 360. Release date: Sept. 15, 2009
Photo by Microsoft